Sunday, September 1, 2013

Lego Birthday Party

In June my littlest celebrated his 4th birthday and since he is already a big Lego fan we threw him a Lego themed birthday party.  I tried to get him some Lego theme decorations at Walmart but they had just reset the mod and got rid of all the Lego Star Wars party items.  So off to Pinterest I went and got some great ideas!  A few months ago during our first trip to the Lego Store we had purchased a Lego minifig ice cube tray.  I knew someone most likely had used it to make chocolate figures and of course they had!  I also ordered some brick shaped silicone molds off from Amazon and used those to make both Lego Gummies and crayons to give as favors.  My husband did a great job and decorated the favor bags by drawing various Lego faces on yellow bags I found at a party supply store.  Finally he made an awesome Lego minifig head cake all on his own with no mold and I made cupcakes and put the chocolate minifigs on top!  It all turned out very well and I'm sure we'll have more Lego birthday parties in our future!


061213125012

To make the candy Lego minifigures I placed a quarter of the bag of candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and microwaved it at 50% power and at 30 second intervals, stirring each time. Once the candy was melted I used a spoon to transfer it to the molds. Then place the mold in the freezer for 15 minutes. Between each batch I washed and dried the molds to make sure I didn't get any air bubbles on the minifigures. 061213134939

061213192850

To make the Lego gummies in a sauce pan mix 1/2 cup of water with 3 packets of Knox Gelatin, let that sit for 10 minutes. Place a larger frying pan on medium heat with a good layer of water to act as a double broiler. Once the gelatin has set for 10 minutes place the sauce pan in the water of the frying pan to heat the gelatin up. Once it is liquid again mix in 1 packet of Emergen-C vitamin c(or vitamin c flavoring of your choice) and a 3 oz box of Jello. Mix them all together then used a dropper (I used a medicine dropper and it worked just fine) to pour the mix into the mold. The place the mold in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove and refrigerate before serving. 061313114417

To make the Lego crayons I used a box of new Cra-Z-art crayons, cut the wrappers off with an x-acto knife, broke the crayons into a few pieces for each mold then placed the mold on a baking sheet and put it in a 230 degree oven for 15 minutes. Once they were completely melted I removed the pan and placed it directly into the freezer for another 30 minutes. When they were cool I was easily able to peel them from the mold. 061413101707

legocrayons

DSCN1486

DSCN1510

DSCN1516

DSCN1513

DSCN1604

No comments:

Post a Comment